BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

Catfishing

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
L-F
United States of America

Catfishing

Post by L-F »

Anyone been catfished by their LO or tried to catfish their LO?
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
virusbkk
Hong Kong

Re: Catfishing

Post by virusbkk »

Pretty sure, people have attempted to catfish me online,
but they usually fall into the realm of "romance scammers" that operate within organised gangs.
They target gullible/lonely women (and men) on dating sites by posing as successful engineers, businessmen etc. all with fake photos.

Once the victim's confidence has been gained and he/she has become somewhat emotionally attached,
the demands for money start - "I need some cash injection for my business", "I need to have an expensive procedure for my cancer etc."

All of this is built on the promise that the scammer will finally meet the victim,
so they can consummate their undying love for each other.

It is much easier to catfish online than IRL - there is no shortage of stories where millions were transferred,
and the victim and scammer had not even met a single time. Everything over text.
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

Falling limerent is an interesting subject. What fascinates me is the cutoff point from falling into the rabbit hole and being abruptly yanked out of the hole when one finds out they have been scammed. I mean, do people all of a sudden wake-up? Or do they continue the fantasy after finding out about the scam? I suppose some may want to be wanted so badly they choose to turn a blind eye? Idk? I'm asking in general.

LE isn't selective, it can happen to anybody whether in person or via text, or even to an inanimate object (known as objectophilia... in this case, would it be LIO instead of LO - limerent inanimate object)?

Those scammers are everywhere. They are the ones I would call pathological narcissists. People with zero conscience.

But then... humans are complex creatures. Some catfish because all they want is to be loved.
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
AMA210

Post by AMA210 »

@LF: "LE isn't selective, it can happen to anybody whether in person or via text, or even to an inanimate object (known as objectophilia... in this case, would it be LIO instead of LO - limerent inanimate object)?"

I think I had this - an LIO - and at the same time as the LO - one feeding into the other and the LO was in the LIO. :-o

I had this with a Camaro that was purchased when SO and I turned 50. It became another way to glean attention. Lots of people pay attention to the shiny muscle car. Yes indeed.

I admit it - this being an attention whore. (But, LO was just as bad). It was like a roundabout of attention. Drive car past LO and either get the addiction fueled or if not, then get it from other drivers and if that all failed, would turn into adrenaline rush at high speeds. Some days, there would be hits on everything and other days, just one. Yes, to even admit that I did these consistently makes me realize just how far I have progressed. :D
Never give up! Keep moving forward, no matter what.
virusbkk
Hong Kong

Post by virusbkk »

I think there's two different types of catfishing being discussed here:

1)
Concealing one's true identity and/or embellishing one's own credentials,
in the hope that the other party will be impressed,
and more likely to consider them as a potential partner.
It is a form of deception / manipulation, mostly used in OLD.

2)
Concealing one's true identity and/or embellishing one's own credentials
to gain a potential victim's confidence, trust and ultimately "love",
with the ultimate goal of manipulating the victim into parting with their money.
The targets are usually lonely / impressionable men or women - especially on OLD.
It is financial fraud, plain and simple.
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

Yes 2 types being discussed
1) Limerent (LS) catfishing for LO - to impress as you mention. Which is pretty much what all LS do in terms of being someone who wears a mask (ie. Not show any flaws, or weaknesses, etc).

And.

2) LO catfishing for LS - to manipulate.

In both scenarios, LO is not limerent.

AMA210 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:49 pm I had this with a Camaro that was purchased when SO and I turned 50. It became another way to glean attention. Lots of people pay attention to the shiny muscle car. Yes indeed.
But I bet you enjoyed it! :D
It's nice to have things that give us genuine pleasure.
AMA210

Post by AMA210 »

Yes, L-F, I drove the hell out of it for three years and then sold it in the divorce, even though I was given full ownership of it. At that point, I couldn't afford the maintenance or insurance, and honestly, I don't miss it.

Completely off topic, I used an entire tube of mango lip balm in the first two months with LO. I have never done that before or since then. Also a lot of hair flipping and playing with my hair. Ah, dammit. :D
Never give up! Keep moving forward, no matter what.