What Annoys You About Your Own Gender?

A place to help from being limerent again and how to cope with limerence in future relationships.
Rocinante

Re: What Annoys You About Your Own Gender?

Post by Rocinante »

Of course #notallstraightmen and also of course #notexclusivetostraightmen (so please don't come @ me over these huge generalizations):

Our typical gender training that is all about not being like 'girls.' Therefore it's considered normal to get emotionally withdrawn starting around 13.

Friendships w/other men are often shallow and not as meaningful/intense, as, say, women's friendships.

Not really 'getting' women's need to zero in on the emotional content of a discussion, argument, etc. our tendency to want to jump immediately to a solution. "Just do this and it'll be fine."

All the domestic bad habit training we get. We don't 'see' dirt. Female partners sweep it up / pick it up. The next generation watches and learns. Repeat.

Talking over other people, interrupting, taking up too much space.

Reacting poorly to even mild criticism more often than not.

That a huge minority of us talk like movie tough guys, or like dudes in the Goldman Sachs elevator, even if we're skinny nerds: "I'd f'n kneecap that idiot, blablabla." Humour like this that goes on non-stop (even if it's funny sometimes, it's not when it's non-stop);

Dudes who are nothing special lookswise, criticizing women's looks.

Emotional inarticulateness. (If I could have a few superpowers, one of them would be to be able to describe exact shades and tones of emotion.)

Optimistically, I really believe that all of this could be unlearned / tamped down somewhat.
Rocinante • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocinante_(disambiguation)
RECLUDET PRATERITIS! <-- Current mantra / magic spell ("Quarantine the past!")
ShutUpGhostNappa
United States of America

Post by ShutUpGhostNappa »

The prevalence of toxic masculinity in general.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

I'm so bloody sick of the image/expectation of women to be nurturers/communicators. I've met VERY FEW who ever came close to being such.
I gotta know right now, before we go any further, do you love me, will you love me forever-Meatloaf, Paradise By The Dashboard Light
ShutUpGhostNappa
United States of America

Post by ShutUpGhostNappa »

Toxic masculinity in general.

EDIT: My bad forgot i already responded to this thread.
Last edited by ShutUpGhostNappa on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pierre
Sweden

Post by Pierre »

Men who talk about the success of their sports team as though they had something to do with it.. treating sport as though it’s more important than world events.