BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

my new observation on beneficial role of oxytocin

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
NoDayDreaming

my new observation on beneficial role of oxytocin

Post by NoDayDreaming »

limerence is a type of addiction and/or obsession mediated by periods of high dopamine/low serotonin (high/hypomania) followed by withdrawal characterized by anxiety, low mood, and "drug" seeking behavior. i think we can all agree on the above.

turns out oxytocin is effectively a natural anti-addictive, anti-anxiety, and anti-depressive hormone.

how one increases levels of oxytocin?
simple!

pet a dog
be altruistic/giving to others
say i love you to your loved ones
hug often
talk face to face to people looking in the eyes
have some excitement in your life
meditate and feel love in your heart

above based on https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... d-feelings

i've been doing a lot of the above while i was fighting my limerence and it helped a lot. now i know why.
Last edited by NoDayDreaming on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bridget

Re: my new observation on beneficial role of oxytocin

Post by Bridget »

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons this last LE was so strong was because I met my LO around the time my children where getting less huggy with me. Oxytocin withdrawal is a thing! :((
Celestialbody
Australia

Post by Celestialbody »

It's interesting because my LE started when I was on a ridiculous low carbohydrate diet. I later learned that it can cause low serotonin. I'm starting to wonder if that was the root cause. it's been better the past 1.5 years since I started eating normally again. Amazing.
NoDayDreaming

Post by NoDayDreaming »

more oxytocin tricks:

29 Ways To Trick Your Brain To Create Oxytocin Naturally

https://www.lifecoachcode.com/2017/06/3 ... naturally/

in some other news, oxytocin fights obesity and decreases cravings: https://www.inverse.com/article/54376-o ... -treatment

i noticed this very week that with my heart full of harmony, peace, compassion, and faith, i was not tempted by those public doughnuts in the break room. i dunno know who brings them but he must be my enemy. regardless, i forgive him and love him instead.
Last edited by NoDayDreaming on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Great Britain

Post by Max »

Good tips. On a smiler note, has anyone tried the Dopamine diet? Looking into it currently...

https://www.12keysrehab.com/dopamine-an ... -recovery/
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

Great thread!
"You know for a big black guy Cleveland's got a cute little white ass!" Peter, Family Guy
"Um...that wasn't Cleveland," Brian
NoDayDreaming

Post by NoDayDreaming »

Max wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:30 pm Good tips. On a smiler note, has anyone tried the Dopamine diet? Looking into it currently...

good read. i wasn't sure if i could agree with all of that (because increasing dopamine will down-regulate receptors) and then i saw this:
Scientists at Brookhaven National Laboratory found that eating fewer calories increased the number of dopamine receptors in the brains of rats, for example, so restricting your calorie intake and losing weight if you are obese may help.
this one is a gem!
Celestialbody
Australia

Post by Celestialbody »

Low serotonin can cause OCD-like behaviours. When serotonin levels are low, we seek out more addictive and rewarding activities to boost dopamine levels. This can lead to too much dopamine being released- i.e. the rush of LO, perhaps?? Some evolutionary biologists think we're wired this way to seek out food and sex, the ultimate ways to perpetuate the species. Stress is the #1 cause of low serotonin, and now I've learned that diet is a factor too. High levels of serotonin inhibit dopamine production. Wonderful!

We all self-medicate and have coping mechanisms. My poison is him, booze, sex, and food.

I'd never try drugs or gambling because I know how I am. It would be my downfall.
NoDayDreaming

Post by NoDayDreaming »

Celestialbody wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:24 pm Some evolutionary biologists think we're wired this way to seek out food and sex, the ultimate ways to perpetuate the species.
exactly, high dopamine/low serotonin state is physiologic in romantic love/attraction. that gets us hooked and obsessed about the mate. that should result in mating and producing offspring. by then, the romantic phase/attraction is over and replaced by commitment sustained by oxytocin.

what happens in limerence, we are stuck in the romantic love/attraction because of the unavailability of the object of interest. even worse, due to the Intermittent Reinforcement provided by the LO, we get addicted to the stimulation.

its well known that Intermittent Reinforcement in more addictive than continuous reinforcement:
Intermittent Reinforcement is a conditioning schedule in which a reward or punishment (reinforcement) is not administered every time the desired response is performed. This differs from continuous reinforcement which is when the organism receives the reinforcement every time the desired response is performed. For example, on a continuous reinforcement schedule a mouse who pulls a lever would receive food (reinforcement) every single time it pulled the lever. On an intermittent reinforcement schedule the mouse would only receive food every few times (it is typically random and unpredictable). There is an increased likelihood the desired behavior will continue with intermittent reinforcement conditioning and the behavior lasts longer than continuous reinforcement. Gambling is an example of intermittent reinforcement. You don't win every time or win the same amount when using a slot machine- this wouldn't be exciting or fun. The reinforcement is intermittent and causes a positive and euphoric response in the brain that in some circumstances can lead to gambling addiction.
replace "gambling" with "limerence" and it's very much correct.

my theory is, if our LOs provided continuous reinforcement, it would result in love alright, but not limerence.

coming back to your initial thought about predisposition to limerence. it makes sense if we are already low in serotonin or high on dopamine, romantic love/attraction/limerence will be more likely.
Max
Great Britain

Post by Max »

NoDayDreaming wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 pm
Max wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:30 pm Good tips. On a smiler note, has anyone tried the Dopamine diet? Looking into it currently...

this one is a gem!
And here's a link to some recipes:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... amine-diet

I did my first 'dopamine shop' today, which def boosted my morale, if only temporally. Feels like I'm finally doing something positive and healthy to fight back, not just against the limberbeast, but also against depression and bad habits in general!

I'm especially encouraged because it's not a very hardcore diet. Basically lots of unprocessed meat, nuts, dairy, fruit, even dark chocolate - all stuff I like anyway.

I do need to cut back on sugary foods, my big downfall diet-wise.

Top adulating I think!