BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

Was Chris Watts limerent?

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
L-F
United States of America

Re: Was Chris Watts limerent?

Post by L-F »

Which reminds me, in one situation I believe a reader wanted the level of attention that a poster gave to their LO.
Which takes me back to the topic of grooming.

Or rather, the opposite of grooming where someone is hoping they will become an LO. All very fascinating to me. I'm wondering if it's more about looking for narcissistic type qualities in order to satisfy a need for the level of attention and flattery a narcissistic type person with grooming abilities is able to provide?
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

You have to be a full-blown sadistic psychopath to do what he did. I mean sticking your dead child in an oil drum???? That goes waaaay beyond the latest pop psychology trend. So my answer is no. At the very least, it would be the least of his pathologies.
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

& to back up to Diane Downs, you should see the chilling interview where she has this creepy smile while talking about her still-missing kids. Yes, these people view their kids & spouses as an obstacle & their empathy sector is broken, but you have to be deeply sadistic to do what they did, especially because they tried to go on living a normal life. They didn't break down & confess & go "oh my God, I snapped!" They very, very methodically covered their tracks & everything was clearly planned out & their demeanor & behavior were calculated.

I think cases like this are a perfect storm. Sure, there's some kind of hinky concept of love going on, some kind of obsession, but I maintain that you have to have a deep seated streak of cruelty to do the things they did.

It's just like when they say violent criminals and pedophiles lack empathy, as if it explains it. Not quite. They have urges that more normal people, even many people with mental illness, don't have. Who knows if it's nature or nurture; it's probably both working in concert for a "perfect storm" of horrific behavior.
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

^^^ This.

Going back to the original question (I tend to go off-topic), regarding limerence and sadistic psychopathic/sociopathic behavior, it doesn't matter if either of them were limerent because limerence wouldn't cause a person to go off the rails to the point of killing, not when you consider how many people are limerent who don't kill. They would have to be deeply disturbed individuals as Zsababy pointed out.
I actually don't know the stories in detail, only picking up the twisted things they did on here (which is more than enough detail thanks, lol, no need to traumatize myself any further).

Again, and only my opinion, limerence is an obsession but not enough to make someone want to kill unless mentally ill to start with.
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

Methodically planned out??? =)) Well thankfully for their families these two did a terrible job. I mean that both of them thought they were going to get away with this??? Especially Shanann, she was all over the internet, did this dipshit really think somebody was not going to miss her at some point??? Or Diane Down's kid who survived who had a panic attack when she showed up at the hospital to visit her like nothing happened? Did she really think she'd forget that her mom tried to kill her??? Stupid people make cops' jobs easier I guess...
"Men are fooled so easily. Women wrelike spiders. They'll pull you into their webs and...wrap you up so tight you can hardly breathe," Griselda Blanco, Cocaine Godmother
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

I need to stop reading this thread @-)
Hate to read about the stuff done and no doubt over a period of time

Going back to limerence, I'm pretty sure he/they were limerent yet the point seems mute given their diagnosis & crime. I highly doubt limerence was enough to trigger a tsunami of horrific acts.
SierraM
United States of America

Post by SierraM »

I don't know about the original question but mine was *not* about whether limerence would explain the acts. Clearly these individuals had other, more serious issues. My question was: are individuals who are clinically diagnosed with ASPD, or sociopaths/psychopaths, if you will, such as is clearly the case with Downs and Watts, also subject to limerence, as I think this peculiarity can shed some light on the condition of limerence itself for us "normal" people let's say. I think it's indeed interesting from a scientific perspective as it can contribute to understand who and who is not subject to limerence, which was a major point of Dorothy Tennov's book.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

SierraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 am I don't know about the original question but mine was *not* about whether limerence would explain the acts. Clearly these individuals had other, more serious issues. My question was: are individuals who are clinically diagnosed with ASPD, or sociopaths/psychopaths, if you will, such as is clearly the case with Downs and Watts, also subject to limerence, as I think this peculiarity can shed some light on the condition of limerence itself for us "normal" people let's say. I think it's indeed interesting from a scientific perspective as it can contribute to understand who and who is not subject to limerence, which was a major point of Dorothy Tennov's book.
I understood your question. I think they did suffer from limerence but like others have said it seems to have been the least of their problems.
"Men are fooled so easily. Women wrelike spiders. They'll pull you into their webs and...wrap you up so tight you can hardly breathe," Griselda Blanco, Cocaine Godmother
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

SierraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 am I don't know about the original question but mine was *not* about whether limerence would explain the acts.
Agree, it doesn't. I'd say their diagnosis does though. Or at least in part.
SierraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 am My question was: are individuals who are clinically diagnosed with ASPD, or sociopaths/psychopaths, if you will, such as is clearly the case with Downs and Watts, also subject to limerence, as I think this peculiarity can shed some light on the condition of limerence itself for us "normal" people let's say.
Interesting angle. What makes you think it would shed light on who does or who doesn't fall limerent? What is your take on the matter if they were indeed limerent?
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

JupiterTaco wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 am Methodically planned out??? =)) Well thankfully for their families these two did a terrible job. I mean that both of them thought they were going to get away with this??? Especially Shanann, she was all over the internet, did this dipshit really think somebody was not going to miss her at some point??? Or Diane Down's kid who survived who had a panic attack when she showed up at the hospital to visit her like nothing happened? Did she really think she'd forget that her mom tried to kill her??? Stupid people make cops' jobs easier I guess...
Well, I didn't say they were planned *well*. Just that it wasn't like they snapped and grabbed a gun nearby. They had plans, not just impulses.
Their thought processes are obviously way off as they are not like the rest of us. These people actually think, and probably could, live a "normal" life after killing their children. Like they were just obstacles to their happiness that needed to be gotten rid of. Those are people with just bizarre conceptions of what a normal life would be, so they probably have no fear. Apparently, psychopaths don't have much fear, whereas a normal person would fear capture more than they.