BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

The disclosure dilemma, a matrix to help clarify

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

The disclosure dilemma, a matrix to help clarify

Post by David »

I came across some feedback from my first-year supervision tutor on my psychotherapy training course. My limerence was for a peer on the course. My tutor was facilitating one of our groups when I made one of my disclosures. Yes, that’s correct, In front of 7 peers and the LO, I disclosed after she had been questioning me in the group as to why I was ghosting her after I decided to go Low Contact. It was not my finest hour.

Reading my supervisor's feedback, a decade on still takes me to that place of feeling not good enough and shame. I wanted to reproduce a few of his comments as they illustrate why disclosure is never a good idea if either person is in a committed relationship elsewhere.

You have had an interesting six months where decisions were made unilaterally that with a bit more thought could have been handled differently. I hope, and believe, that you have learnt from these experiences, and are continuing to take the questions and lessons these experiences raised to both your private supervision and to therapy as I strongly believe they happened for a reason.

Its spurned me on to make a brief video on the topic and design a disclosure matrix. Ive already made a more indepth video on disclosure and its perils in my online video training series.

Purchase the 24 part video series on overcoming limerence - see https://limerence.thinkific.com/courses/healing-limerence
L-F
United States of America

Re: The disclosure dilemma, a matrix to help clarify

Post by L-F »

Well articulated David.
Just want to add, you mentioned towards the end your supervisor suggested that wanting to unpack limerence with LO  carried with it unconscious undertones of "I want you to reciprocate". 
I too believe this to be true when I was limerent. Now that I'm not, I could quite happily chat with LO about all the madness without fear of poking the bear, so to speak. In other words, I have zero interest in an intimate relationship therefore there is nothing to reciprocate other than respect and compassion.
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David »

L-F wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:57 am Just want to add, you mentioned towards the end your supervisor suggested that wanting to unpack limerence with LO  carried with it unconscious undertones of "I want you to reciprocate". 
I was thinking about this very point last night and thought i should have emphasised this more in the video as likely the main reason we want to disclose. As my tutor said, if were not looking for consummation, why the need to disclose?

Interestingly, said tutor who I have not seen or heard about for 6 years popped up in my linkedin feed yesterday :-ss
Purchase the 24 part video series on overcoming limerence - see https://limerence.thinkific.com/courses/healing-limerence
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

David wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:34 am Interestingly, said tutor who I have not seen or heard about for 6 years popped up in my linkedin feed yesterday :-ss
Got a chuckle out of this. Synchronicity?

It's true, disclosing won't cure limerence. Nor will consummation. But if you marry them, that will. Marriage kills all kinds of passion. Joking :D
Like you, I made some mistakes along the way.
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David »

L-F wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:05 pm Marriage kills all kinds of passion. Joking :D
Its true. I think i mention in the video, attraction is where desire meets uncertainty. Esther Perel's Mating in captivity is all about this.

Marriage removes uncertainty and the passion goes. I think this happens for both men and women. We are seeing more and more men that are the lower desire partner.

The way to keep passion going in a marriage is to create just a frisson of uncertainty. It's why couples couples often report better sex when on holiday, there's more uncertainty in the air plus away from life's routine and humdremness.

And those that disclosed their limerence to their SO may have experienced hysterical bonding, driven by big doses of uncertainty. Its why swingers and open relationships report better sex lives, as there is more uncertainty.
L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F »

David wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:43 am Esther Perel's Mating in captivity
The title of Esther Perel's book as well as another book you recently posted about in the Book section reminded me of an essay on Frans De Waal's FB page called The Gendered Ape. It's fascinating. Check out essay 8. I like what they had to say about Freud's view which makes me question how many men hold this antiquated view about the female body.
For further details and references to the literature, read “Different: Gender Through the Eyes of a Primatologist” (Norton, 2022).
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

Thank you!
"You know for a big black guy Cleveland's got a cute little white ass!" Peter, Family Guy
"Um...that wasn't Cleveland," Brian